Patrik Sandell, Ken Block, and Jeff Ward qualified 1-2-3 and eventually lined up on the front row for Saturday’s main event, setting up a battle between three M-Sport Fords on the front row. But contact between all three drivers heading into the dirt hairpin opened the door for the field to push through, with Foust—who had missed most of Friday’s sessions with mechanical issues—claiming the lead.
Behind him, Austin Dyne found himself in second, with the Olsbergs MSE pair of Joni Wiman and Sebastian Eriksson chasing him down. Eriksson took the joker to briefly grab second place on the final straightaway, but a heavy charge from Dyne at the last second allowed him to reclaim the spot in a photo finish.
UNOFFICIAL RESULTS: The results from Saturday’s Red Bull Global Rallycross Daytona (I), the second round of the 2015 Red Bull GRC season:
1. Tanner Foust, #34 Volkswagen Andretti Rallycross Beetle
2. Austin Dyne, #14 Bryan Herta Rallysport Ford Fiesta ST
3. Sebastian Eriksson, #93 Red Bull Olsbergs MSE Ford Fiesta ST
4. Joni Wiman, #31 Red Bull Olsbergs MSE Ford Fiesta ST
5. Steve Arpin, #00 Chip Ganassi Racing Ford Fiesta ST
Ward qualified on Sunday’s pole and won one of his heats, but it was Eriksson and Block who took the top two spots heading into the main event. The Swedish rookie dove into the Kobalt Tools Joker Lap at the start of the race to get a hold on the lead position, but behind him, the other two podium places were anything but settled.
Block, Ward, Steve Arpin, and Scott Speed all spent time in a top-three spot, but contact between Ward and Speed eliminated the Volkswagen Andretti Rallycross Beetle from contention. As Block settled into second, Ward eventually climbed back up to third, but a rough driving call against him allowed his Canadian teammate to take the third and final step on the podium.
[recent_works picture_size=”fixed” layout=”carousel” boxed_text=”boxed” filters=”yes” columns=”1″ cat_slug=”GRC-Daytona-2015″ exclude_cats=”” number_posts=”16″ excerpt_length=”35″ animation_type=”0″ animation_direction=”down” animation_speed=”0.1″ class=”” id=””][/recent_works]
The results from Sunday’s Red Bull Global Rallycross Daytona (II), the third round of the 2015 Red Bull GRC season:
1. Sebastian Eriksson, #93 Red Bull Olsbergs MSE Ford Fiesta ST
2. Ken Block, #43 Hoonigan Racing Division Ford Fiesta ST
3. Steve Arpin, #00 Chip Ganassi Racing Ford Fiesta ST
4. Jeff Ward, #360 Chip Ganassi Racing Ford Fiesta ST
5. Tanner Foust, #34 Volkswagen Andretti Rallycross Beetle
Arpin picked up a silver at his most recent race during the X Games Rallycross in Austin, TX. He next races on July 5th at the MCAS New River Military Base in Jacksonville, NC.